Saturday, August 25, 2012

Week One Blog Entry: Introductions

Hello!

My name is Amy and I am a second degree nursing student. I have a Bachelor of Science with a double major in Biology and Spanish and I just graduated in May. Now I am pursuing a BS in Nursing and I am about to start classes this week! I am taking sociology because it is a very important social science to learn, especially when entering professions that involve a lot of human contact, such as health care. I am hoping to gain from this course a better understanding of social groups and the ways in which societies exist as well as how societal norms, rules, and regulations are created and maintained. I am excited to be beginning the course and this blog! For a fun fact, my favorite TV show right now is Mad Men.


4 comments:

  1. I hope to get into a second degree BSN program too! which one did you decide to go with? I have a friend who just finished at Marymount and they seemed to like it. I also know people at VCU. I'll probably try those two first.

    Somehow I've gotten hooked on Mad Men too. I blame netflix... Its great though. This season had some sweet episodes! Good luck with this class! I look forward to following your blog this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    It's nice to meet you! I am also pursuing a BSN, though it'll be my first degree, but second career. It's cool how many aspiring nurses we have in this class. I wish you the best of luck! Looking forward to working together throughout this class!
    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear from both of you! Talia, I agree I think its great to have so many potential nurses taking this course because I do think its important for nurses to understand at least the basic fundamentals of sociology. Besides providing health care, nurses also act as counselors and advocates for patients from so many different cultures and backgrounds, so this course is definitely useful for that. Justin, I am going to Marymount, so I'm glad to hear you know someone who liked it there. If you have any questions about applying for a second degree program down the road let me know! As for Mad Men, netflix is exactly what got me hooked, so I know where you're coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy: I appreciate your remarks about the value of learning Sociology. I have had other students who comment about the value of understanding human behavior in the work setting. Have a good semester. Cordially, Richard Bobys

    ReplyDelete